Livinghigh: Superman, Superman, Whine forever, Superman.... (to the tune of Spiderman...)
Friday, August 19, 2005
Livinghigh was here at 7:17 PM /



Superman, Superman, Whine forever, Superman.... (to the tune of Spiderman...)

It's been a week since Independence. It's been a week of dithering and not being sure and insecurities abounding... do I have it in me to deliver hard hitting scoops - is the question I kept on asking myself. I kept on asking myself, whether I really liked my job. Strange way to go, - especially for someone who was crazy about this job from the very start. The egoist in me still is. However, the markets editor in me never really existed - I'm a great Pretender, I guess.

And I guess I've had enough of pretending. Happens sometimes. I could be all melodramatic and talk about how it's a phase when a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do... and I just was.

But there's something else I've had enough of, and that's worrying too much. I like myself, and though I may like myself a little too much for the taste of a certain bald professor in journalism school who rapped me on my knuckles more than once for this very same point, that's also the part which affords me a very positive outlook on life in general. You heard it first: I'm the idiot with the buffoon grin. I'm the dumbass who's chirpy most of the time. I'm the nincompoop who can work 12 hours at a stretch and then crack a silly joke after that.

...Which basically means, the people here have kind of adopted me as the 'new kid on the block', who needs a fair bit of guidance and a great deal of indulgence. So I have a lot of senior reporters here having tete-a-tetes with me, telling me what I should do, sharing their contacts, and giving me tips on how to deal with CorpComm. Anyone who's been a reporter knows, that last bit of advice is probably worth kilos in diamonds.

So, it's been a hectic week, and not all bad, really. The buffoon still has a stupid smile plastered on his face, though he's just back from a press-con in town, has worked ten hours so far, has not slept for more than six hours per day in the last week, and must show up at the office tomorrow on a Saturday morning as well!

Yes, yes, yes. I try to fish for as many heartfelt sighs and compliments as possible - I mentioned my ego back there, na?



10 Comments:

"I'm the idiot with the buffoon grin. I'm the dumbass who's chirpy most of the time. I'm the nincompoop who can work 12 hours at a stretch and then crack a silly joke after that."
I totally agree.....for once the truth is out

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:52 PM  

Here we've got someone who writes uncliched stuff.
Looks like u've got a reader hooked onto ur blog,plan to keep haunting this space.

By Blogger Tabula_Rasa, at 11:02 AM  

You willing to take advice from a four and half year old biz journo veteran?
OK, you have it.There are ways and means of dealing with Corm Comm, remember they're human too, many of them might be dumb humans but they are humans. Never ever promise a story. Nyet, kabhi nahi but keep them happy. Corm Comm people can also tend to be flapmouths, esp about rival cos. For example all the anti-Airtel stories usually come from Reliance and vice-versa. You know the rest I guess.
Plus, get to know a few i-bankers, y'know people at DSP ML, SBI Caps etc. Very very important. Anytime you need help lemme know. And all knowing 'senior' journos are usually the worst people to take advice from.
PS : Can't wait for the rakhi's.

By Blogger K, at 1:44 PM  

gots lots to comment, so will do so next time

By Blogger erratica, at 10:43 PM  

hey! I go with the liking yourself part, but not the idiot self calling. in this world of cranky and negative being more common, it's a virtue to have the outlook on life that you do. so, if I were you I would say "I'm the smart one who's chirpy most of the time."

By Blogger Chelle, at 11:02 PM  

LOL! Rant or timepass? Whatever it is, i like reading you :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:47 PM  

LOL our dear friend says that our blogs are mere egomassage machines, so you're defi on the right track for that ego lift;-)

By Blogger G Shrivastava, at 11:53 PM  

egomassage machines, i like that

By Blogger Chelle, at 9:14 AM  

a-ha. sounds like work's good then, (and this is not ego fanning, get yourself a decent masseuse for that).
and heck, your days sound a'right- 6hour sleep and a working saturday being an exception....hmmm...wait till it gets good...!

By Blogger ., at 3:48 PM  

Sounds like you are enjoying yourself!

By Blogger . : A : ., at 7:57 AM  

Post a Comment