Livinghigh: Shoshti on a Sunday
Monday, October 10, 2005
Livinghigh was here at 11:19 PM /



Shoshti on a Sunday

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It's not the same. I sound like an ingrate saying this. That it's simply not the same thing, being a Bong expat in a city called Bombay, and celebrating Durga Pujo. I've read about Bollywood starlets saying the same thing in Bombay Times, and I've laughed at them, and here I am, saying the same thing.

Why do I feel like sighing and sniggering, when I see the Bong expats in joints like RK Mission and Bandra Park and Shivaji Park, clustered around a Durga murti? It strikes me as a cheap imitation of a Baghbaajaar or a College Square or a Maddox Square in Calcutta. I always knew I was a snob, but so much a Bengali chauvnist snob, I didn't guess.

This really shouldn't come as so much of a surprise... given that even last year, I was bitching about Durga Pujo not being the same. It's the thing all Bong expats do, perhaps. And feel strangely happy about it, too.



4 Comments:

Happy Dassera !

By Blogger Viewer, at 1:24 AM  

happy bijoy doshmi.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:18 PM  

thanx, guys! same to ya! ;-)

By Blogger livinghigh, at 8:42 PM  

Bong expat eh? Heheh...now shouldn't you be saying Probashi? (am I spelling that right?)

By Blogger G Shrivastava, at 12:03 AM  

Post a Comment