Livinghigh: Speeding trains and hotel towers
Saturday, October 22, 2005
Livinghigh was here at 1:59 PM /



Speeding trains and hotel towers

Returning home from one gathering last night and on the way to another. Train goes chug-a-lug-lug, and phone rings tring-tring. Hey Mum, how's you doing? Yea, I'm fine, just had dinner with some colleagues at work, amazing rabri, and now going to see a movie with brother. Crap movie, but brother, he drags me to see crap movies only. All in the life of me.

And that's when you see the tower again. I've passed that landmark a zillion times in my lifetime in Bombay. That used to be the place where I used to walk past to go home, once upon a time. The fancy hotel, the not-so-fancy chawls, bastion of Marathi pride: the newspapers call them, the woebegone mills of central Mumbai. Welcome home. And through all this, rises that single tower, shining lights, and you could imagine the people inside, in bed, reading, eating food, glittering crystal, rich people whom you wouldn't mind joining some day.

And whenever the train used to turn the bend and the tower used to come into view, I used to think... Not long now, am almost home, now there's just the walk down the station-road, and then past the tower, then up the hill to my home and bed. To bed.

And so I smiled last night, when the train chug-a-lugged past the tower, and sped on towards Churchgate.



9 Comments:

You should have said hi then. Which tower is this ITC Grand Central?

By Blogger K, at 2:46 PM  

my friend was just over from bombay.. hasn't stopped gushing about it since jan when he moved there. if I ever come back to India, that's where i'm going to stay

By Blogger the cowlick, at 6:16 PM  

*smiles*

By Blogger G Shrivastava, at 11:41 PM  

*smiles*

By Blogger G Shrivastava, at 11:41 PM  

Makes me wanna visit Bombay :)

By Blogger Casablanca, at 9:33 AM  

cute. what next?

-Phal

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:20 PM  

k - yes, de grand.

cowlick - bbayites will cheer to hear u say dat, cowlick ;-)

geet - *smiles twice back at ya*

casablanca - apparently, it doesn't succeed! :-)

phal - u tell me!!!!

By Blogger livinghigh, at 8:23 PM  

how bout shut up and die?

yeah, let's play a game of shut up and die.

-Phal

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:35 PM  

how bout shut up and die?

yeah, let's play a game of shut up and die.

-Phal

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment