Livinghigh: Go fish!
Tuesday, November 15, 2005
Livinghigh was here at 8:44 PM /



Go fish!

Fish is good, most of the time. Not immediatelly after you see The Penguin in Batman Returns eat raw sushi the simple and bloody way, but good at other times.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Especially, if you're Bong like me.

But there are things that I haven't done, in the fishy scheme of things. Even the Bong scheme of things. For one, I haven't ever been to the Chittaranjan Park's all-too-famous market, or even the park itself, in all the time I spent in Delhi. Never hobnobbed with the bhadralok crowd there, shopping for their chicken or mutton or their piscean meals. Strange, really, given that I seem to have explored all the possibilities of kathi rolls that the capitol has ever attempted.

Number two, is to have rohu or any other freshwater fish while here in Bombay. Actually, the same goes true for Delhi as well - I barely touched fish of any kind in the capitol. Here in Bombay, the fish has been strictly Arabian Sea fare - the rawas' and the surmais and the bombay ducks. And of course, the crabs and the prawns. Whenever we go to O Calcutta, my brother and I studiously avoid the freshwater fish, even though the steward tries to make us notice it time and time again. There's an implicit understanding: rohu is for Calcutta and home.

Did I just get mushy in my fishy tale?



10 Comments:

Bongs - I tell you they are a fishy lot! ;-)

I still remember my utter shock at meeting a Bong who detests fish and stays away frm all sea-food. Me not a gr8 fan of sea-food either...

By Blogger G Shrivastava, at 11:03 PM  

Mush is in the air... everywhere i look around!!! Mush is in the air..

Lets do lunch. All of us, a home lunch.

By Blogger bluegreenflysplat, at 12:37 AM  

U bongs don't have the monopoly on fish loving I tell ya!

We Konkanis have you beat most of the time!

PS. Freshwater fish? Yuck! Tastes of mud ! Give me a good surmai or bangda anyday...

By Blogger Vikster, at 10:45 AM  

I'm not a particularly huge 'fish' fan, even though I am as Ghoti as you can get. I love Chingrimacch especially Chingrimaccher Malai Curry, yum, yum! And Shorshebata Ilish Macch.. Damn its too early to be thinking about food - too early....

By Blogger K, at 12:10 PM  

Now now... this post sure sounds fishy.

By Blogger Casablanca, at 1:41 PM  

fresh water fish rocks does'nt matter what some konkanis might say.
k- chingri maacher malai curry and shorshebata illish maach are truly divine

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:44 PM  

ya go back, why don't you?

*taunt*

By Blogger bluegreenflysplat, at 1:44 PM  

I've enjoyed the Salmons, the Mackrel's and Tunas of this world, for that matter the Arabian Sea fare (to whatever extent) but..
Nothing could ever taste as good as freshwater fish..
I must say it does depend on where you get it. Some of the fish can be very fishy indeed :D

By Blogger Jedi, at 11:27 PM  

hehehehe... strange how everyone has something to say on de subject of (who wud have guessed it!) fish.

;-)

phal - not interested at your taunts.

By Blogger livinghigh, at 9:00 AM  

hey man, why talk about fish in the first place? To make us feel what we are missing? :P

Meanwhile, I am too a sea-food guy. Though I have only had the sea water fishes (the "Arabian Sea Fare", as you call it, to be precise) And you know, Goa has the best saltwater fishes. Trust me on that, since I have had my share both in Bombay and Goa!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment