Livinghigh: Happy Post-Diwali Post!
Wednesday, November 02, 2005
Livinghigh was here at 6:44 PM /



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It was the fireworks. The best thing of all. O yes, I know that we should be cutting down on noise pollution, smoke pollution, child labour that goes into making all those fireworks, and a million other things that 'good' and concerned citizens should be upto, but... in the end, the fireworks simply don't brook a damn.

Happy Diwali, and I groaned as I drove down to cover the muhurat trading session at the Bombay Stock Exchange. Shook hands with gujju bhais, wished them happy deepavali, patted the head of a junior Shah well on his way to the trading terminals, and generally did some high-power networking and byte-taking. This is awful, I'm the only f***ing reporter working today - the entire office is on chhutti! Grumble, grumble, and then I saw Monster-in-Law. Totally yummy flick. I love yummy actors. I really do.

And when bro and I went over to Rustom's for some post-dinner ice cream, we saw the crackers in the sky. This is not my first Diwali in Bombay, but it certainly was my first Diwali on Marine Drive. It's amazing. F***ing amazing. Standing there at Pizzeria, looking up, left, right. Not knowing where to look. Dodging stray sparks that rained this way, and laughing, and going back all the same. It's ridiculous what Mumbaikars will do. It's funny and heartwarming, as well.

Those are the kinds of moments that stay with you. That define a city for you. Bombay by the sea. Crowds laughing, lit up under a stupendous and never-ending array of dazzling light.

Happy Post-Diwali Post!



9 Comments:

Even though the recent events put a damper on the celebrations, the spirit of Diwali still prevailed. What would Diwali be without fireworks? Pah!
If I had to put up with noise pollution for one night, I wouldn't lose my sleep over it! Well.. I would, but you know what I mean.. LOL !

By Blogger Jedi, at 11:13 PM  

Happy Diwali man!

By Blogger . : A : ., at 9:46 AM  

You just saw the fireworks? Didnt participate? WHY???

By Blogger Casablanca, at 3:21 PM  

jedi - remind me to avoid YOUR house come firecracker time! lol.

august - same to ya, Emglishman :-)

casablanca - hahaha. didnt buy any this year, casa. haven't done for ages.

By Blogger livinghigh, at 11:24 AM  

I swear I didn't know you were a journalist! And if it's any consolation, almost ALL my friends in India were working Diwali night. (I'd forgotten what it was like working on new years and during festivals.) What all one has to do..

By Blogger the cowlick, at 2:21 PM  

Oh! Finally someone else who enjoyed Monster-in-law! It was such total TP na? And I know -yummy actors ;-)

Belated greetings for Diwali - meant to send egreetings and put up Diwali post et al, but life got in the way and prevented me frm doing it ;-)

Cheers!

By Blogger G Shrivastava, at 3:05 PM  

This is not my first Diwali in Bombay, but it certainly was my first Diwali on Marine Drive. It's amazing. F***ing amazing. Standing there at Pizzeria, looking up, left, right. Not knowing where to look. Dodging stray sparks that rained this way, and laughing, and going back all the same. It's ridiculous what Mumbaikars will do. It's funny and heartwarming, as well.

Those are the kinds of moments that stay with you. That define a city for you. Bombay by the sea. Crowds laughing, lit up under a stupendous and never-ending array of dazzling light."-
these are the kind of things i have'nt dpnw but i will sumday . spend diwali /new year's night at marine drives

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:32 PM  

I hope to be there to celebrate it there one day. Happy Diwali.

By Blogger Pecos Blue, at 6:48 AM  

hey baby. guess who's back?

By Blogger bluegreenflysplat, at 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment