Livinghigh: Zooming thoughts
Thursday, November 24, 2005
Livinghigh was here at 10:13 PM /



Zooming thoughts

Was driving down Marine Drive the other night with a pal, and swooped down the flyover. And that's when I saw the tents and the lights. Four of them, all neatly in a line, twinkling like fairy lights on chocolate cream. Yes, that's a strange way of looking at it. They were Gujju weddings, my Sindhi friend pointed out, and each year, as the wedding season hits Bombay, the four sea-facing gymkhanas on Marine Drive will fill up with fancy tents, fancy lights, fancy diamonds and the fancy people wearing them, who will spend an outrageous amount of money to get two people married.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I think I'm jealous.

***

I discovered Technorati today, and that's when I discovered two extraordinary things. The first is a mention/ link to LIVINGhigh from Desipundit, considered by many to be the 'best of the Indian blogosphere'. What can I say? I'm thrilled! You can see the mention at this link.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The second extraordinary thing is that I'd beeen tagged 55 days ago (Technorati records the date too) by the nice people/person at Presstalk. It was the old 23rd post-5th line-whaddya make of it? tag, and so here's my line:

- Sudden burst of inspiration, while the bridge was crossing Kodambakkam bridge.

It's actually the explanation of the circumstances that led me to jot down the four-line bit I'd scrapped before it:

What happens
When you see scarecrows and think them men
See men
And think them scarecrows...

I'm usually(!) a terrible poet and I have no pretensions to the contrary on this one. Kodambakkam is a place in Chennai, where I did my post-grad studies, and I remember seeing the scarecrows on top of a house alongside the bridge my bus was crossing. And I thought them men. Should I get really arty-farty and give some deep, inner meaning to scarecrows and men and whatnot?

Nah, I love ya guys too much for that! ;-)



6 Comments:

Sigh... I wish I was born a rich gujju!

By Blogger Casablanca, at 2:18 PM  

I don't know what is stranger - Rich Gujju weddings or the fact that you discovered technorati today....
;-)
Check out Bloglines and see how many people subscribe to your blog.

By Blogger K, at 2:48 PM  

Its said that one can never choose to be born rich but yeah one can always get married to a rich old man :)

By Blogger Viewer, at 7:55 PM  

Someone asked me today why Gabbles doesn't get updated frequently these days...I said I'd ask and get back...

And yes, terrible poet!

By Blogger G Shrivastava, at 11:47 PM  

casablanca - rich gujju, eh? well, i'm tracking de damn stock markets so much these days, i may as well become one! lol. poor gujju, not rich one.

k - discovered as in, actually went there and played around. of course i've known abt desip, techn and blogl for ages!

viewer - ure ambitious, eh?! lol

By Blogger livinghigh, at 8:29 PM  

By now all scarecrows are scared of you!
Congrats on making it to different lists. You must be getting more famous by the hour..

Gujju weddings.. Save one for me ! :P

jedi

By Blogger Jedi, at 11:52 PM  

Post a Comment