Livinghigh: Going Potty at last!
Saturday, December 10, 2005
Livinghigh was here at 7:36 PM /



Going Potty at last!

I guess it had to happen. The last barrier, or as close to it as you could possibly get, had to crumble. I finally read Harry Potter. Rather, since I finished book 2 in record time and rushed out to buy books 3 and 4 this afternoon, I guess you could say that I've become a Potter fan.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I resisted, as long as I could. I remained a staunch Tolkien fan. I resented the extra publicity that the Harry Potter movies got, when part 1 released at almost the same time as Fellowship of the Ring, and so I never read any of them. Saw Philosophers Stone but didn't think much of it. Ignored Potters 2 and 3, and only recently saw Goblet of Fire. It was ok, I thought, but the curiosity to read the series had been kindled. And so I decided to be fair.

Last week, I bought Potter 1 and 2 (books).

Potter 1 was ok. More or less ok. I thought Rowling had done a great job with the imagination, but it reminded me too much of Famous Five and Mallory Towers with all the 'plum cake and tea' mentions that I found it slightly... irksome. But, Potter 2 was.... good.

The Chamber of Secrets is a great book. It rivets you, from first to last. The Rowling imagination is very much in form here, and the plot has that extra zing which somehow I couldn't find in Potter 1. I wish I'd caught the movie. So, I became a fan.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The rest is history. Am anxious to start reading Potter 3 once I get back home.



5 Comments:

She's like a crescendo... three is AWESOME! Which is why I was so annoyed at the hash that was made of the film. I completely understand - when I first got my hands on her, I finished all four in three days flat!

As another militantly staunch Tolkein fan, I found that I could go back to JRR for a lot more than I can ever go back to Rowling for. I don't think she'll be even fantasy, much less high fantasy, the way JRR is. If you like fantasy and JRR esp, pls try Ursula K Le Guin's Earthsea series. She rocks! Check it out here and she does wonderful science fiction as well!

By Blogger Extempore, at 8:31 PM  

Umm...stumbled upon ur blog while browsing thru the Blogosphere...it's refreshingly different from the others..

By Blogger Tabula_Rasa, at 10:39 PM  

Wait till you finish the 6th! I find it the best one so far.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:54 PM  

Another man falls prey to cry baby Potters charms. hehe

I think HP was great to begin with - magical. Until it turned into a money making enterprise. Same old stinking formula all the time. Some lousy glory tournament, even lousier dark secret.. Harry Potter saves the day.
And of course, EVERYONE must pity him. :p

Ok I agree the 3rd book was good but thats about it!

jedi

By Blogger Jedi, at 5:00 AM  

I *heart* Harry Potter! And i think Daniel Radcliffe looks so dishy too. As far as films go, Prisoner of Azkaban is by far the best. And as for books, its Chamber of Secrets and the Half-Blood Prince that get my vote as being absolutely riveting!
:)

By Blogger Vijayeta, at 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment