Livinghigh: Travelling up the Ruler
Saturday, February 11, 2006
Livinghigh was here at 7:09 PM /



Travelling up the Ruler

Caught the train to Vasai Road today. Bloody far. First stop at Borivilli. Hate Borivilli. And then, another crash-burn-shove train to Virar. For the uninititated, like I was, Vasai Road is a stop ahead of the infamous Virar. Virar is infamous because of the violence that supposedly accompanies every local train that plies the route. And I was in the middle of all this, because I hoped to buy my laptop from a shop in Vasai Road, so as to escape the even more infamous OCTROI that Maharashtra (blessed state!) levies.

Complicated. And long. Both the story and the route. The train kept chugging along. Thank you God, for giving me an iPOD. A walkman with the radio just wouldn't have cut it. Vasai is another blooming city altogether (hence, no octroi), and the train rushed past mountains and hills and across some vast inland sea, and still kept chugging along. After Dahisar, my cell phone lost its signal, and I was officially in no-man's-land.

Remembered an earlier mention from Geet, about travelling to a friend's place on Mira Road, and that's why I felt nostalgic, when my train passed that particular station. Mira Road is a village. On one side of the train, there are highrises some thousand feet away, and on the other side, there are paddy and rice fields, submerged in water. I know I'm being a horrible townie snob here, but why on earth would people live so far away from Bombay, but still travel to Bombay regularly for work?!

Longitudinal city of Bombay.



4 Comments:

Hi,
Gawd, yes those contrasts Mira road offers.
You know what I found strange about the place?
I used to see this bunch of people who would religiously jog between 2:30 and 3:00 midnight.
What for, I still have not figured.
But that my dear is what amchi Mumbai is all about. Expect the unexpected.
Ohhh boy and all those men standing on the roof of Virar trains. And screaming.
Oh boy oh boy oh boy....

By Blogger Prat, at 12:00 AM  

Darling that "vast inland sea" is the creek that seperates Ambhi Mumbai from the rest of India.

Viraf

By Blogger Unknown, at 12:14 PM  

point being
which laptop didya get ?!
tell tell !

By Blogger once again, at 2:06 AM  

prat - "o, boy, o boy..' ;-) DOWN, girl.

f-cubed - the word is YECH. lol

once again - didnt get it yet. i hate citifinancial. back to good ole hdfc bank now.

By Blogger livinghigh, at 4:26 PM  

Post a Comment