Livinghigh: Installments
Thursday, March 02, 2006
Livinghigh was here at 6:14 PM /



Installments

Mmmm... Budget Day came and went. This time last year, I was.... o, wait, I missed out on Budget last year at Moneycontrol. Think I was at home or something, in Calcutta. The time before that, was spent typing in reactions and prices at Delhi CNBC.

This time around, I was the so-called Link Master. Which essentially means, being a glorified Guest Coordinator. So, I arrive at the Link Office early and brief the guard on which Guests (capital letters!) are slated to arrive, so there won't be any identification hassles. Then I check things with the cameraperson and the engineer, and with PCR back in the office. Enter Guest 1. Speak Guest 1. Wait Guest 1. Wait Some More Guest 1. Yet Some More, Guest 1. Grin and Speak again, Guest 1. And that's where the sheer genius of being a Link Master comes in. The dual charm of a guest coordinator and rapport of a reporter with the Guest, and that's how you have to smile and apologize for the delay - "because it's all live and unplanned things sometime happen, sir!" *dazzling smile* - and make sure that they still come back for your channel next time around.

Sheer genius, I tell you.

***

Now, I'm going to post about Warfornews. I've actually been visiting the blog on again, off again, because some of the stuff there amuses me. Unfortunately, they've blocked the site at the office, and I find that silly, because criticisms will always keep on coming and you just have to deal with them. Lately of course, even WfN has been holding up some of our aspects to praise, and that's the way things are going to happen. We're a Work in Progress, and I think both we and WfN should realise that. Whatever.

I, for one, was quite thrilled at our Budget coverage. Thought it was quite good, for a new channel, quite comparable with CNBC and all.

***

Just finished reading Samit Basu's The Manticore's Secret. That's the second part of the author's Gameworld trilogy, a take on Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Basu writes, combining Tolkien and the Ramayana and myths from the Mahabharata, and Hindu ideas of the cosmos, and the best part is, he does it all in such a great fun and irreverent way. ;-) I've read part 1 of the trilogy and I loved it, and that prompted me to pick up part 2. O and look! I just found his blog here.

Curently reading: Siddharth Dhanvant Shangvi's Last Song of Dusk. Poetic, yes. Lyrical, yes. At times, grand and sweeping, yes. But, umm.... overdone a tad? Yes!



2 Comments:

So you liked Samit's book ? Good !! Maybe I should read it.

By Blogger Dhoritri, at 4:09 AM  

The last song of dusk is one of my fave books... not for the story... but for the author's writing style. Liked the portrayal of each characters in the book.... made it an interesting read.

By Blogger DreamClicks, at 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment