Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Uploaded a 4 CD "Best of ABBA" set on my iPOD finally, and have been listening to a whole bunch of old favourites. And it struck me, that despite all the "happy happy" image, the group have tons of not-so happy songs. I mean, apart from the all-too-famous "Dancing Queen" and a coupla others, you have songs dealing with:
- waiting around for the phone to ring from that person wringing your heart
- having a last dance, even though the love has gone
- "pick me! pick me!" happening in a crowded dance floor - Take a Chance...
- guy/ gal going away and you're left crying your heart out
- How winners take everything and losers are left... ummm.. singing.
Of course, now that I recall, ABBA was composed of two couples who later split up, so maybe all of that was just a symptom, chiqitita...? :)
The winner takes it all is the saddest of them I feel.. Many of their songs are quite uplifting as well.. the sheer tunes. They will remain a classic!
Post a Comment