Livinghigh: Shoshthhee, Shaptami, Ashtami, Nabami, Dashami...
Friday, September 29, 2006
Livinghigh was here at 3:11 PM /



Shoshthhee, Shaptami, Ashtami, Nabami, Dashami...

Durga Puja came yesterday, with mahashoshthhee, and I trekked all the way to Santa Cruz, to visit the Ramkrishna Mission puja, like I did last year. RK is eminently preferable to the traffic and human snarls of the bigger pujas at Lokhandwalla and Vashi, and I convinced Aristera to come along with me. The funny part was, I kinda forgot the precise location of the place, so I called up my mum in Calcutta, who knew exactly where it was!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The puja itself was quaint as usual. Felt very weird, assuming the role of Expert on Bong Myths, holding forth to Aristera, explaining the concept of Mahaloya and 'baaper-baari', etc. Cutesy stuff. Even attempted a kind of synopsis of the battle with Mahishashur, but Aristera looked bored at this point, so I stopped short. He was quite shocked when I suggested that we sit down in the hall there and gupshup - "One sits and prays here!" - so then, I had to explain how Durga Puja for Bongs is more Community Catching-up time, rather than Fervent Worship time.

As we headed out, though, Aristera realised that somebody had nicked his new Nike floaters. Ahem, ahem... serves us right for not depositing them with the shoe-keepers. Aristera put on an affected air, proclaimed it was all part of his 'boraat' (fate), that the goddess had taken 'dokkhhinaa' (offering to the deity) from him, and then we retreated for a hoity toity dinner at the Lokhandwalla O! Calcutta -

- barefoot!

;-)



3 Comments:

I went for the Ashtami celebrations here too, yesterday (yes yes, they have a pujo celebration in Singapore... bongs are all over the world :p).
Watched the aarti and the dhunuchi... very cultural.

By Blogger Casablanca, at 12:43 PM  

aha. when i think of us bongs, two songs of completely different tone but similar intent come into my head:
1. the sexy dath vader theme song - here we come to overrun the galaxy! *wicked grin*
2. sister sledge crooning: 'we are family'! lol.

By Blogger livinghigh, at 1:17 PM  

Pssstt....i wrked on the long due pic tag u set me up with...
:P

By Blogger Lil Mizfit, at 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment